Residents infuriated by City Hall’s inconsiderate move
Bukit OUG residents in Kuala Lumpur are concerned over the safety of their property after parcels of land in the neighbourhood were cleared, leaving a hillslope exposed.
The perimeter wall of the Bukit OUG condo sits on top of a hillslope that previously had trees on it.
Over 30 residents recently gathered with Seputeh MP Teresa Kok to protest against developments in the area.
Bukit OUG Condominiums Residents Association vice-president Charles Ho said the entire stretch of land between their property and the Sungai Kuyoh river was divided into three plots and works to clear the first plot beside Jalan 3/155 had started on June 5.
Ho said they had written a letter to Kuala Lumpur mayor Datuk Seri Ahmad Fuad Ismail on March 4 protesting against the high-rise residential development, citing noise, traffic congestion and environmental impact, among others, as potential problems.
“We received a letter from the Commissioner of Buildings on March 25 but nothing from the town planning department.
“The JMB (Joint Management Body) had a meeting with the developer on April 15 but it was an informal one without the presence of anyone from the DBKL,” Ho told a press conference after the protest.
He said clearing works have started but there were no clear signboards informing residents of the development projects being worked on.
Resident Tan Jo Hann said there was another signboard next to the land across the road notifying that the land was being cleared to build a two-storey multi-purpose hall but the land area seemed too big for just a hall.
The DBKL also recently put up another signboard to inform the public that an application has been received to increase the density of the middle plot of land from 60 people per acre to 500 and to build four blocks of 31 to 33-storey flats with six levels of car park.